I'm on a Diet, but I had Rose and a Cheese Plate for Dinner...

I decided a few months ago that June 1st was going to be my official start to summer. Not just because I could, without judgement, start wearing my white jeans, but because June 1st was when I told myself I would start the season of being kinder to my body.

I am not as nice to my body as I could be. Honestly, sometimes I'm downright mean.  I say unkind things about it in my head (and sometimes out loud to my boyfriend who I am sure REALLY appreciates it!), I don't feed it the right food, I eat for comfort, I drink to giggle, I don't do the exercises I should do in order to make myself into the strong badass human that I want to be. I don't give my body and mind quiet time to rest and meditate, and Lord knows my body and mind could use a goddamned break.

My body does SO many nice things for me! It keeps me healthy, lets me move around in the world, keeps all of my systems going. It takes care of all of that stuff so I can focus on, taking subways, working, being a good friend, writing, making phone calls,  laughing - all of the stuff that I love the most.  I thought that summer could be a time that I dig deep and instead of just focusing on the stuff that I love doing - I could think a little more about how to keep my body as healthy and strong as possible.

This summer my hope is to start treating my body like a gift that I really cherish, that is deserving of excellent care and nourishment - instead of as being an afterthought. I mean, I am really careful with all of the fancy things that I own, why can't I be just as nice to the body that I own.  Also, I am going to try SUPER hard to stop talking shit about this body that has been run over by a truck and still does most of the stuff it has been build to do.

Now, that being said, yesterday was Day 1, and I KILLED it during the day - I ate tons of delightful, nutritious things that were what I chose to eat vs. my normal penchant for easy complex carbs. I felt very, very proud of myself, until about 5:00.  Then the weather was so stinking lovely, and it basically screamed "its rose weather!!!" at me.  And when the rose calls, I feel that it is my duty, as a lover of joyful things, to answer.  Sooooo, I ate cheese and drank rose and laughed and felt really lucky to be a person alive in the world in that very moment - most importantly - I didn't get mad at myself. Instead, I went to bed, set my alarm for 6 am, and on day 2 of this little plan, I did an hour and a half of cardio, and then ate some organic fruit like a hero.

I'm far from perfect, but for the first time - I am not going to tell my body that, and I am going to treat it like it is.


It was so pretty, and I didn't want to hurt its feelings by not drinking it <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summertime Scaries

Keep Falling

Putting the Pretty into Power Walking