A Case of the Monday's

I usually don't have a problem with Monday's - we get along pretty well actually! I try to respect the least loved day of the week for what it brings to the table: it's the first day of a fresh work week, it's a clean slate and I think that it is the perfect day to treat myself to a fancy coffee. I thought that Monday and I were on the level. 

This past Monday, we were not on the level. I had too many bags with me on the subway and was in everyone's way, the fancy coffee that I got for myself added to my awkwardness, on my way out of the subway I realized that I had probably left my work ID at home, and spent 15 minutes on a bench outside of Rockefeller Center taking everything of alllllll of my bags. By the end of my search I had most of my worldly possessions strewn out in front of me, but no ID.  

I finally made it to my office, set myself up with my open laptop and a glass of water and within 30 minutes I had spilled the contents of said glass all over my keyboard. It immediately shut itself off, my computer was also totally over this Monday. Then, like a responsible, professional, woman - I began to cry.  I rushed out of the office to the Apple store in Grand Central, and waited on the gorgeous staircase in the station for one of the Genius' to be available to help me. I cried there too. I'm pretty sure that in some tourists photos of their trip to New York City there is a photo of me, red faced, cheeks slicked with tears, clutching my laptop to my chest. Nothing says "I HAD A GREAT TRIP!!" like being photo bombed by a public crier - you're welcome tourist!

The computer was so fried that not even the Genius' could help me.  So I dusted myself off, wiped off my face and started to think about workarounds.  I found another computer store that could try to save my computer, I called a friend in a nearby office to see if I could use one of her desktops and tried to get over this yucky hopeless feeling.

That night when I got home, I sat down on my couch and I forced myself to think about the things that had happened today that I was grateful for, here's the list I came up with:

- When I was struggling with my bags a young woman offered me her seat, and said "I know how hard it is when you have so much stuff on the subway."

- A friend was kind enough to let me use a desktop in their office, and I was able to do most of the work I needed to do that day. 

- When I was sobbing in front of all of Manhattan I called my boyfriend, and he was so kind, understanding and patient with me during my histrionics. 

- I met up with my friend Kim after work and had a glass of rose with her and got to commiserate, laugh and be reminded about how lucky I am to have a friend like her. 

- I was buying a reusable water bottle at a store (a little pressie because I was feeling bad for myself), and there wasn't a price tag on it. The cashier gave it to me for a dollar because she said I had a joyful smile. 

- I had a Diet Coke, and it was fizzy and cold and amazing. 

When I focused on the good things that had happened that day, I was able to change the narrative of the whole day.  The day was far from ideal, but even when things go off the rails, there's still so much to be grateful for.    

Comments

  1. Always,always,always stuff to be grateful for no matter how bad the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Thomas! One of the things I'm grateful for today is you!! <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Falling

Summertime Scaries

Putting the Pretty into Power Walking